20070225

Selection Sunday! (er...Monday, rather.)

Here it is, folks- My version of March Madness. In the coming month, I will start with the 65 painters I have chosen (from a list of 267... van Aelst to Zurbarán) and whittle away until we have just one painter left. More than anything, this is going to be an exercise in learning about my own tastes. You'll notice a lot of trends just based on whom I've chosen for the bracket. Not many 20th c. artists there... and some scandalous omissions. The process of picking just 65 was quite tough.

Anyway. My criteria for chosing these, and for deciding who will win? Wellllll, it's a little complicated. Sure, I want to take into account how important these guys (sorry, I know, no females represented here. It's not intentional.) are in the big picture (but not too much). Mostly, this is about my reactions to and interactions with paintings/art. So, yeah, it's kinda fuzzy, but we'll all just have to deal with that, won't we? Although I picked the artists based on my own tastes, I seeded them roughly how I think an average survey textbook might do it if it had to.

Who would you add? Who here is a surprise to you? Who do you think will win? Let's discuss.


Louvre Division
Play-In game: Abbot Handerson Thayer vs. Ralph Albert Blakelock

16) Play-In Winner
1) Leonardo da Vinci

9) Jan Steen
8) Edvard Munch

5) Sandro Botticelli
12) Hokusai

13) Jean-Baptiste-Siméon Chardin
4) Diego Velázquez

3) Francisco Goya
14) Gustave Caillebotte

11) Pieter de Hooch
6) James Abbott McNeil Whistler

7) Jean Auguste Dominique Ingres
10) Théodore Géricault

15) Henry Fuseli
2) Johannes Vermeer


Uffizi Division
16) N.C. Wyeth
1) Vincent van Gogh

9) Pieter Brueghel the Elder
8) Hans Holbein the Younger

5) Eugène Delacroix
12) Jacob van Ruysdael

13) Dante Gabriel Rossetti
4) Salvador Dalí

3) Claude Monet
14) Odilon Redon

11) James Ensor
6) Hieronymus Bosch

7) Gustave Courbet
10) Thomas Gainsborough

15) Geertgen tot Sint Jans
2) Caravaggio


Getty Division
16) Thomas Wilmer Dewing
1) Rembrandt

9) Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec
8) Rogier van der Weyden

5) J.M.W. Turner
12) Gustave Moreau

13) George Inness
4) Peter Paul Rubens

3) Albrecht Dürer
14) Sir Lawrence Alma-Tadema

11) Matthias Grünewald
6) Paul Gaugin

7) El Greco
10) Gerard David

15) Hugo van der Goes
2) Paul Cézanne


Met Division
16) Albert Pinkham Ryder
1) Raphael

9) John Singer Sargent
8) John Constable

5) Jacques-Louis David
12) Bronzino

13) Lucas Cranach the Elder
4) Titian

3) Jan van Eyck
14) Sir Edward Coley Burne-Jones

11) Parmigianino
6) Edgar Degas

7) Thomas Eakins
10) Fra Angelico

15) Sir John Everett Millais
2) Édouard Manet


xomatt

15 comments:

C said...

I must admit, I had deleted the blog from my bookmarks since it wasn't interesting or informational, but I may yet be glad I checked in. This has great potential.

Thayer vs. Blakelock - doesn't matter, they're both mediocre and won't go far.

Surprise? James Ensor.

Additions? Charles Sheeler and Michelangelo Buonarroti.

Winner? Who knows.

Where'd you get the original list of 267?

The divisions are as interesting/telling as the artists.

mpc said...

I started by making a list of my favorite 267 painters... actually, it was pretty much whomever I could think of off the top of my head.

I forgot a few, but roger helped.

mpc said...

the seedings were pretty much random, once i figured out who was a 1, and who was a 13, etc..

and then the division names were just the first 4 big museums that came to mind.

no rhyme or reason other than that.

C said...

I think it's interesting that those are the first four that came to mind, though. Wouldn't be the four that come to mine, for example.

Rog said...

regarding the artists:

if it weren't for me, such lesser known painters as van eyck and rubens might have been off the selection committees radar.

full disclosure: artists on the list who I couldn't imagine one work by:
Sir Edward Coley Burne-Jones
Albert Pinkham Ryder
Gerard David
Sir Lawrence Alma-Tadema
George Inness
Thomas Wilmer Dewing
Ralph Albert Blakelock
Abbot Handerson Thayer
Odilon Redon


i might have to do my own with exclusively artists born after 1880 just so i can give Duchamp a one seed.

lessa reminds me of sumfthin the Notorius TSE used to say:
On the blog, the women come and go,
posting of Michelangelo.

(Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all night)

p.s. I think Abbot Handerson Thayer should be Abbott Handerson Thayer

Ryan Sheely said...

this is outstanding. are you going to post representative works for each artist, just so ignorant boobs like myself have something to hang their hats on, so to speak?

maybe i'll do the same thing with kenyan ethnic groups; however, i guess "single elimination" means something a bit darker in that context.

Rog said...

Yes, I hope to see representative works as well.

I think portraits with funny hats might be a good thing.

Also, maybe Christopher Walken could make a guest play by play appearance and a podcast mp3 could become available?

Imagine, Gustave Moreau, Edvard Munch, and Geertgen tot sint Jans are at the final table of the WSOP. (James Ensor is taking a bathroom break.)

One can dream can't they?

mpc said...

yep, there will be representative and lesser-known works.

and maybe i can convince mr. walken to do a special analysis around the elite 8...

Ryan Sheely said...

yo, did the tourney get cancelled?

Rog said...

Tourney is still a go, last I heard. I do understand there were some logistical problems of moving some of the paintings around in their climate controlled railroad cars, (especially tranatlanticistic railroad routes). One trifold even almost got jacked by a parliament of Tocharian fowls. Getting Walken and BIll "we've got jigglers" Cosby signed has held it up a bit too. But rest assured, the tourney is still a go and will have maximum cowbell.

mpc said...

rog is my PR man.

things are still a go - just been a bit busier than normal... plus culling images has been quite a bitch. i don't want to go with the standards, here.

soon. soon.

Ryan Sheely said...

sweet, i was just looking forward to it and surprised to see no updates. I think you should call it "April Anguish" or something, though.

Rog said...

Cooter was a politician.

Ryan Sheely said...

May Mayhem?

mpc said...

It's certainly looking like maymayhem.